What is document management, and why is it crucial to use document management solutions?
Document management may be defined as the proper administration of a document over its whole life cycle, from creation through preservation.
Regardless of how a document is created (paper or digital), it contains data and information that must be obtained, preserved, and made available for consultation, sharing, and conservation over time.
The data contained can have various meanings (administrative accounting, legal, commercial, etc. ). Still, their correct and organized management is critical and has become an increasingly strategic process within the single corporate organization, whether it is a small reality or a medium or large one.
The increasing amount of information available must be managed in an orderly manner to allow for speedier sharing while also protecting the content; it should also be remembered that it is required to minimize degradation and the danger of loss.
IT solutions, namely document management systems or Document Management Software (DMS), may be utilized to achieve outcomes in terms of efficiency and optimization of the document management process.
These are software-based systems that manage and archive outgoing documents and receive, send, and monitor procedures and document flows (workflow).
Watch "Document Management: The 10 Fundamental Requirements" on YouTube:
Which advantages of document management stand out the most?
There are many benefits to document management; here are some of the more important ones:
Lowered expenses for printing
Cost savings for archives
Overall cost reduction
Document retrieval speed
Document management: a few informative statistics
According to an IDC study done throughout Europe, the number of papers produced by businesses is gradually reducing, mainly due to advancements in document management systems and increased activities in the field of digitalization.
Even data security improvements (GDPR) appear to have contributed to the growth of document management systems since data security cannot be divorced from well-organized and effective data management.
According to another study performed by Ricoh on 2,550 European managers, 55% of organizations agree that the new privacy standards are a helpful starting point for enhancing the organization's internal processes.
We must also consider that the implementation of some rules in the fields of electronic invoicing, civil proceedings, and the health sector has aided in the acceleration of document digitization processes; despite this, the transition from paper to digital is still ongoing and has not yet concluded in 2020.
The global documentary market is rapidly expanding: it was valued at 800 million dollars in 2017 and is expected to reach 980 million dollars by the end of 2023, with a 3.6% growth rate from 2019 to 2024. (Global Document Management Software Market Report).
There are still inefficiencies to be addressed in many realities: according to a December 2019 study of the "Global Intelligent Information Management Benchmark Report," 83% of workers polled had difficulty finding a document available in their business network and had to rebuild it.
The continual development of document management systems (72%), the requirement to access a higher quantity of digital contents (68%), and digitalization activities (59%), have been highlighted as the primary reasons driving enterprises to reduce the volume of paper documents.
What fundamental needs must a modern document management system meet?
The 10 essential needs for a modern document management system may be summed up as follows:
Connection and integration with the company's existing management system
Keeping and archiving all documents
Legally acceptable document preservation using digital means
Document distribution using multi-media channels
Handling each delivery exception
Consultation in real-time through computers, tablets, and smartphones
Control of email boxes (automatic shipping and receiving)
Workflow mechanism for documents
HTML 5 web interface and client access are available
Wide range of customization and integration options
THE DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DMS)
(From Wikipedia: Document management system)
“A document management system (DMS) is usually a computerized system used to store, share, track and manage files or documents. Some systems include history tracking where a log of the various versions created and modified by different users is recorded. The term has some overlap with the concepts of content management systems.
It is often viewed as a component of enterprise content management (ECM) systems and related to digital asset management, document imaging, workflow systems and records management systems”.
DOCUMENT WORKFLOW AND DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
The true digitalization of recent times is concerned with complete operations and document flows, and therefore we speak about document workflow, which complements traditional document management.
LogicalDOC, in line with the times, is capable of quickly developing and implementing workflow procedures that contribute to the improvement of collaborative processes and allow for greater overall efficiency and competitiveness.
THE LOGICALDOC'S SOLUTION
LogicalDOC Enterprise, the document management platform born of 15 years of expertise and hundreds of deployments, is LogicalDOC's document management solution.
To have papers available anywhere, even on the go, digitally sign them, share them with other users, alter them by historicizing the versions, and transfer them via various analog and digital methods while adhering to legal and market requirements.
Digital papers are maintained and made available for instant review, study, and transfer.
LOGICALDOC ENTERPRISE IS THE CUTTING-EDGE IN DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
For all document flows and procedures in our suite, it serves as the "guide system."
A flow occurs when there is a document, and a process occurs when there is a flow.
LogicalDOC has taken on the issue of giving digital answers to abstract ideas for many years. In reality, the system is set up to facilitate the administration and oversight of digital documents at every stage of their existence.
LogicalDOC supports all the specialized modules in the continual evolution required by businesses and by law. It is based on high-performance database engines chosen by the client and industry leaders like Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
With the help of the LogicalDOC, one can:
- transform the information system's documents into electronic documents with legal and fiscal value
- deliver them to recipients automatically:
- in electronic form by email or Web (including publishing in the reserved part of the site and notification to recipients via email and/or SMS)
- archiving documents electronically ensures their ongoing legal and financial viability
- archive all documents, whether they be on paper or digitally
- handle the most widely used barcode systems ("barcode") for automated document indexing in electronic archives
- provide the users' permissions for accessing the archives, restricting them to the sections they oversee
- organize the archived documents in an autonomous, comfortable, flexible, and efficient manner, thanks to the ability to define at will "logical containers" of the archived data (the "virtual volumes"), to which the documents (or their subsets) contained in one or multiple physical archive volumes can be associated; the "virtual volumes" can be organized and reorganized several times, subsequently, at any time, according to the archiving, work, management, and viewing needs o
- access archives over a local network, the Internet, or an Intranet for any actions you have authorized (consultation, printing, sending through email, archiving), not only from a computer but also from tablets and smartphones owing to the HTML 5 web interface
- immediately access archived documents with software programs (for the most popular systems, such as SAP, JD Edwards, AS400, BAAN, etc.)
- allow clients to study the papers that belong to them via a specific online portal, including notification service of the publishing of new documents via email or SMS
- write, transmit, and monitor incoming messages and notifications, as well as dynamically change the state of archived documents
- archiving received messages and associated alerts
- automatically archive emails, both incoming and outgoing
- create and manage Workflows and procedures
Do you want to learn more?
- What exactly is Document Management
Document management is the proper management of a document over its complete life cycle, from creation to preservation.Developing a shared document process allows for properly managing documents, archiving, research, sharing, transmitting, and digital preservation.
- What advantages does document management offer
- lower costs for printing documents (approximately 90% of the paper used) and storage space
- an overall decrease in expenses due to streamlining and improving internal processes
- shorter internal research and document management timeframes
- quicker document retrieval and delivery to internal and external offices
- increased effectiveness
- increased competitiveness compared to poorly managed and consequently inefficient businesses
- security of information
- What software options are available for document management
It is feasible to structure your business using either in-house or outsourced solutions.
There are other options available on the market, including LogicalDOC.
- What is the price of a document management solution
LogicalDOC may deliver ad hoc solutions to its customers depending on their specific requirements (standard or customized requests).The pricing may change depending on this. In general, the savings generated by achieving the benefits obtained from implementing a document management and document workflow system pay for the cost.
You may contact us without obligation for further information and book an online demo of our document management and workflow software: we will check your needs together and, if desired, develop an ad hoc offer for you.